46. if at all是一个由if引起的主谓结构不完整的短句结为即将……，即使……等。
I can see only with great difficulty, if at all.
There have been opened up to the vast and excellent science, in which my work is the beginning, ways and means by which other minds more accurate than wine will explore its remote corners.
48. range from …to…结构。这是一个常见结构，译时很多情况下应变通处理，不能完全依靠辞典上的释义。
Computer applications range from an assembly line completely run by computers to a children toy responding to remote signals.
49. the way…结构I always thought she was a common-sense person who discussed things the way they ought to be discussed.
50. 复杂宾补结构In recent years, the development of sensitive and accurate measuring equipment has made it possible to measure the acuity of hearing of any individual at different frequencies.
1) 动词短语相关部分被分隔(当make use of , take notice of, pay attention to，等动词短语变成被动语态时)。
Use is made of solar energy in heating houses.
But there is of culture another view, in which not solely the scientific passion, the sheer desire to see things as they are, natural and proper in an intelligent being， appears as the ground of it.
52. to be doing…when…是一个句型，多译为某人正在做……时，突然…….在简单的句子中容易看出，一旦句子变得复杂一些，可能就不太容易识别这种句型。
She said she and a friend had gone out to dinner that night, and were walking home together at about 10 o''clock, when a very big， very tall man, accosted them and demanded their purses.
53. too…to句型Then I remembered how often I, too, had been indifferent to the grandeur of each day, too preoccupied with petty and sometimes even mean concerns to respond to the splendor of it all.
54. so much that…句型But he developed gradually a very musical English. He learnt to write sentences that fall away on the ear with a misty languor and it delighted him so much that he could never have enough of it.
Anything is better than not to write clearly. There is nothing to be said against lucidity, and against simplicity only the possibility of dryness. This is a risk that is well worth taking when you reflect how much better it is to be bold than to wear a curly wig.
In 1600 the earth was not the center of the universe because the majority then supposed it was; nor, because she had more readers, was Ella wheeler Wilcox a better poet than Father Hopkins.
57. so…that, such…that是一个普通的句型，但在同一个句子里有两处使用它却比较少见。
The truth is, that in one point of view, this matter of national literature has come to such a pass with us, that in some sense we must turn bullies, else the day is lost, or superiority so far beyond us, that we can hardly say it will ever be ours.
58. by doing…结构。这个结构的意思是通过(做)……，但翻译实践中不能拘泥于这种释义，不少情况下需要灵活变通。
The hippos, by depositing dung in the water, fed the fish that support the storks that destroy the rare trees.
No less obvious is the fact there are great numbers of people so constituted or so brought up that they cannot get so much pleasure out of processes and experiences resulting in a poorer life less full of meaning.
60. what…of句型I can not say of myself what Johnson said of Pope: He never passed a fault unamended by indifference, nor quitted it by despair. I do not write as I do; I write as I can.